Compulsory/optional course: Optional
- Coordinating degree programme: Doctoral School in Health Sciences
- The course belongs to the following module: General Transferable Skills
- Availability of the course to students of other degree programmes: Yes, but subject to capacity
Advanced level of English
Course learning outcomes: The course participants will:
- Master the key characteristics and practices in scientific texts, especially in journal articles and doctoral dissertations
- Be able to select the appropriate structure and style for their texts
- Be able to communicate fluently and clearly
- Be able to edit their text at the different stages of the process
- Master the key grammar and orthography, and know the sources to consult
- Be able to present arguments and make references, and be familiar with the various systems of referencing
- Be able to give and receive feedback, including peer feedback (collaborative editing of one’s own and a fellow doctoral candidate’s text), feedback from the teacher and feedback from journal editors, and know how to respond to it.
The recommended time of completion is during the first two years of the programme. The course is organised several times a year.
- Style issues, clarity and formality issues
- Writing mechanics (punctuation, handling numerals, etc.)
- Structure, end focus, word choice, tense choice, voice choice (active–passive), connectives
- Avoiding wordiness and ambiguity
- Information issues, article structure
- The submission/publication process.
Lectures combined with readings and exercises completed outside class and then discussed during class meetings
PASS/FAIL, 80% attendance and assignment completion required
Four courses will be organized during spring 2018:
- 19.1.-23.2.2018 (Viikki) - Registration: https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/85222/lomake.html
- 12.3.-23.4.2018 (Meilahti) - Registration: dl 26.2.2018 https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/85926/lomake.html
- 28.3.-2.5.2018 (Meilahti) - Registration: dl 14.3.2018 https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/86995/lomake.html
- 5.4.-17.5.2018 (Meilahti)
24 contact lessons with six face-to-face meetings plus 30 hours of independent/group work between the meetings. Maximum 16 course participants.