Compulsory/optional course: Optional
- Coordinating degree programme: Doctoral School in Health Sciences
- The course belongs to the following module: General Transferable Skills
- Availability of the course to students of other degree programmes: Yes, but subject to capacity
Advanced level of English
Course learning outcomes: The course participants will
- Be able to restructure a text related to their own research or field into a conference presentation, either for an audience representing the same field or for a larger audience
- Be able to organise the information into a clear and efficient presentation in terms of its language, structure, content and layout
- Master the techniques related to answering audience questions
- Be able to produce a poster presentation
- Master the skills of providing and receiving feedback, including peer feedback and feedback from the teacher
- Be able to develop their skills further with the help of feedback, self-evaluation and self-reflection.
The recommended time of completion is during the first two years of the programme. The course is organised several times a year.
- Presenting at a conference (beginning, proceeding, digressing, summarising, ending)
- Dealing with audience questions appropriately and clearly
- Written text into an effective oral presentation
- Dos and Don’ts of oral presentations
- Pronunciation, especially stress placement and intonation
- Practical considerations, including visuals.
Lectures combined with in-class presentations by participants. Real-time feedback from class participants and instructor along with self-evaluation through the review of a video of in-class presentations.
PASS/FAIL, 80% attendance and assignment completion required
24 contact lessons with six face-to-face meetings plus 30 hours of independent/group work between the meetings. Maximum 12 course participants.