Compulsory/optional course: Optional
- Coordinating degree programme: Doctoral School in Health Sciences
- The course belongs to the following module: General Transferable Skills
- Availability of the course to students of other degree programmes: Yes, but subject to capacity
Advanced level of English
The course participants will
- Be able to draft an oral presentation of themselves/their project (elevator pitch) in an academic style as well as a written CV, a motivation letter, a cover letter and a letter of recommendation in an appropriate and efficient style of communication
- Master the skill of academically marketing themselves and their research.
The recommended time of completion is during the first two years of the programme.
In this course, participants learn to hone their academic marketing messages to demonstrate their track record. We will first develop an elevator pitch for quick academic introductions, and then move onto biographical sketches, curriculum vitae (CV), resumes, cover letters and letters of motivation. We focus on the art of crafting and refining each of these documents for purpose-driven messages to market the skills of young and seasoned academics alike.
In-class discussions and group work are supplemented with writing exercises to put knowledge and skills into practice. Both instructor and peer feedback aid in refining initial drafts of each type of document.
PASS/FAIL, 100% attendance required
For further information and course registration, please visit the doctoral school web page:
12 contact lessons with three face-to-face meetings and 15 hours of independent/group work between the meetings. Maximum 16 course participants.