Students in the Master’s Programme in Agricultural Sciences.
BSc degree or equivalent.
The student will understand the basics of designing experiments and research, learn how to select an appropriate design to test the chosen scientific question, learn how to apply the fundamentals of statistical analysis of common research designs, and understand the tight link between design and analysis. During the course the student will apply these skills in preparing a research plan for her/his MSc thesis.
Period IV, first year of MSc studies.
Principles of experimental design applied in the agricultural sciences. Basic concepts of the core statistical methods and linking the experimental design to the statistical analysis.
Lectures, tutorials and course work. Lectures 34 h, tutorials 6 h, practical and course work 55 h, independent study 40 h.
- Ruxton, G.D. & Colegrave, N. 2016. Experimental Design for the Life Sciences (also older editions)
- van Emden, H.F. 2008. Statistics for Terrified Biologists. Oxford, UK: Blackwell
- Dytham, C. Choosing and Using Statistics. 2011. Wiley-Blackwell
- Pallant, J. 2016. SPSS survival manual: A step-by-step guide to data analysis using IBM SPSS.McGraw Hill. SPSS
- Field, A. 2013. Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS statistics. Sage. SPSS
Due to current COVID-19 situation general examinations in lecture halls are cancelled. You can contact the teacher to ask about alternative completion methods.
University lecturer Priit Tammeorg and Professor Jarmo Valaja
Replaces the former course 822091 (AGTEK401) Agroteknologian tutkimusmenetelmät I, 5-7 cr OR
822093 (AGTEK403) Agroteknologian tutkimusmenetelmät II, 5-7 cr OR
812098 (KTT407) Kokeiden suunnittelu ja analyysi, 2-5 cr.