Master’s Programme in Atmospheric Sciences is responsible for the course.
Module where the course belongs to:
- ATM300 Advanced Studies in Atmospheric Sciences
- Study Track in Aerosol Physics
The course is available to students from other degree programmes.
Courses Fundamentals of thermophysics (Termofysiikan perusteet) and Thermodynamic potentials (Termodynaamiset potentiaalit) or equivalent knowledge, calculus, partial differentials, eigenvector of a matrix, converting a matrix to another coordinate system
ATM311 Simulations of Formation of Molecular Clusters
- You will learn how to apply central thermodynamic principles to describe liquid droplet formation (gas-liquid nucleation)
- You will understand the kinetic process forming clusters and birth-death equations as a model of these processes
- You will learn the approximations used in classical nucleation theory and how they restrict the applicability of the theory
- You will learn to predict critical cluster sizes and nucleation rates in homogenous one- an multicomponent cases, understand how to use nucleation theorem as an data-analysis tool, and the limitations of the theorem
Anytime during the MSc studies.
Every second or third year depending on demand (last time in Period III Spring 2015) IV period alternating with ATM311 SIMULATIONS OF FORMATION OF MOLECULAR CLUSTERS
- ERecap of fundamentals of thermodynamics
- Derivation of conditions for phase equilibrium based on thermodynamic principles
- Formation free energy for molecular cluster (modeled as a liquid drop) forming from gas, critical cluster size
- Equilibrium cluster distribution and kinetics of cluster formation
- Predictions nucleation rate, nucleation theorems as data-analysis tools
- Optional: basic of heterogenous nucleation
Hanna Vehkamäki: Classical Nucleation Theory in Multicomponent Systems, 196 pages, SpringerVerlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2006
Lectures, workshop -style exercise sessions
The grading follows Recommended code of conduct for fundamental courses in physics
min. 6- max. 15 participants
Weekly exercises and a final exam.