Master’s Programme in Atmospheric Sciences is responsible for the course.
Module where the course belongs to:
- ATM300 Advanced Studies in Atmospheric Sciences
- Study Track in Geophysics of the Hydrosphere
The course is available to students from other degree programmes.
Basic course in hydrology
Basic course in meteorology.
The course covers the hydrology in the different zone of climate in the Earth, from tropical to polar zones and from rain forests to deserts. This theory and methods of water balance mapping are reviewed first. Then specific hydrological regimes are introduced with examples. Water quality aspects are also of concern, The students will learn to understand, monitor and manage hydrological systems across large range of scales in various environmental conditions in the Earth.
Basic course in hydrology (Hydrologic peruskurssi) needed.
The course is offered in spring every 2nd year in period III-IV.
- Theory and methodology
- Areas with catchment response
- Specific cases (seminars)
- M. Falkenmark & T. Chapman, Comparative hydrology. An ecological approach to land and water resources.
- Recent scientific papers distributed in the lectiures.
Lectures and seminar. The student have home work for the seminar preparation, they give presentation in the course and discuss together about the presentations.
Exam and seminar. Grading 1-5.
The course consists of lectures and seminar work. Each student prepares and gives a seminar on a specific watershed system. Written exam is organised after the course.