Free of charge.
WHEN - No enrollment before the course begins. You will be given instructions for Open University course enrollment through email after you have completed the course assignments in the MOOC online learning environment. Course assignments and Open University course enrollment must be completed between 01.02.2021 and 31.05.2021 to be eligible for credits.
! Enrollment unavailable 15.5.-30.5.2021.
WHY - Open University course enrollment is required be eligible for the ECTS credits. The ECTS entered in the University of Helsinki’s student records. Course materials (without ECTS) are available to everyone without officially enrolling on the course.
WHO - You can enroll on the course through the electronic enrollment form if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You have a Finnish personal identity number, or
- you are a student at the University of Helsinki, or
- you are a student at a HAKA member institution.
- If you enter erroneous information when enrolling, we cannot register your credits.
The course credits will be registered within 4 to 6 weeks of enrollment.
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme.
There are no specific prerequisites. General understanding of computer systems and networks are recommended.
The course provide you with
- an introduction to the current status of cyber security, and
- a better understanding on why cyber security is needed.
Technical aspects of cyber security are discussed in more detail in the following courses.
This part of the course series (1/6) will introduce you to relevant issues in cyber security. These issues include
- the stakeholders' and users' ability to disrupt the functionality of a system
- corporate responsibilities and liabilities, and
- the never-ending software crisis that is related to the increasing amount of software and maintenance.
The course material consists of
- online material (https://cybersecuritybase.mooc.fi/), and
- several external online materials (articles, videos). These links are specified in the course material.
Fail / Pass grading upon completion of course exercises.
Taking this course does not give students access to a University of Helsinki user account. If you want to view and share information about your studies after completing the course, sign up for the Oma Opintopolku -service maintained by the Finnish National Agency for Education. The ECTS will be displayed within two days in the Oma Opintopolku -service after credits have been registered to the University of Helsinki. To register for the Oma Opintopolku – service you must identify yourself by using Finnish bank identification codes, mobile certificate or certificate card.
- You can find frequently asked questions (FAQ) in the online learning environment
- The online learning environment: email@example.com
- Open University course enrollment: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DEFA studies: DEFAemail@example.com.
- Content of the course: teacher in charge of the course: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is a massive open online course (MOOC), which means that the course material is available to everyone. For further information about the course, please visit the online learning environment. The online learning environment contains the material and instructions necessary for completing the course.
The Cyber Security Base course series involves programming assignments, essays, quizzes and puzzles that are completed in the online learning environment.
How to participate?
1. Complete the assignments in the online learning environment. Course materials (without ECTS) are available to everyone without officially enrolling on the course.
2. Enroll on the course through the Open University to receive credits. You will be given instructions for Open University course enrollment through email after you have completed the course assignments in the MOOC online learning environment.
The course is part of the subject studies in Computer Science.
Introduction to Cyber Security, 5 cr (AYTKT20009) consists of Cyber Security Base courses 1-3:
- Cyber Security Base: Introduction to Cyber Security, 1 cr (AY5823951)
- Cyber Security Base: Securing Software, 3 cr (AY5823952)
- Cyber Security Base: Course Project I, 1 cr (AY5823953)
Once you have completed the Cyber Security Base courses listed above, you can request the set of courses to be compiled into Introduction to Cyber Security, 5 cr (AYTKT20009). Send your compilation request to email@example.com.