Free of charge.
WHEN - No enrollment before the course begins. You will be given instructions for Open University course enrollment through email after you have completed the course assignments in the MOOC online learning environment. Course assignments and Open University course enrollment must be completed between 15.2.2021 and 31.5.2021 to be eligible for credits.
! Enrollment unavailable 15.5.-30.5.2021.
WHY - Open University course enrollment is required be eligible for the ECTS credits. The ECTS entered in the University of Helsinki’s student records. Course materials (without ECTS) are available to everyone without officially enrolling on the course.
WHO - You can enroll on the course through the electronic enrollment form if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You have a Finnish personal identity number, or
- you are a student at the University of Helsinki, or
- you are a student at a HAKA member institution.
- If you enter erroneous information when enrolling, we cannot register your credits.
The course credits will be registered within 4 to 6 weeks of enrollment.
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme.
The course is suitable to those who
- are interested in cyber security, and
- have completed the following courses in the Cyber Security Base course series:
- Introduction to Cyber Security, and
- Securing Software
- Course Project I
The course has the following prerequisites:
- The following courses in the Cyber Security Base course series are highly recommended:
- Introduction to Cyber Security
- Securing Software
- Course Project I
During this course you will be introduced to
- security issues in network,
- basics in cryprography,
- analysis of software system architecture, and
- log mining.
This part of the course series (4/6) focuses on security in networks, including internet security issues, issues in 4G networks as well as the issues and remedies planned for the upcoming 5G network. This includes also relevant cryptography topics. Architectural analysis of existing (software) systems will be also visited, and selected methods for log mining for the purposes of identifying and tackling attacks will be studied.
The course material consists of
- online material (https://cybersecuritybase.mooc.fi/), and
- several external online materials (articles, videos). These links are specified in the course material.
Fail / Pass grading upon completion of course exercises.
Taking this course does not give students access to a University of Helsinki user account. If you want to view and share information about your studies after completing the course, sign up for the Oma Opintopolku -service maintained by the Finnish National Agency for Education. The ECTS will be displayed within two days in the Oma Opintopolku -service after credits have been registered to the University of Helsinki. To register for the Oma Opintopolku – service you must identify yourself by using Finnish bank identification codes, mobile certificate or certificate card.
This course is a massive open online course (MOOC), which means that the course material is available to everyone. For further information about the course, please visit the online learning environment. The online learning environment contains the material and instructions necessary for completing the course.
The Cyber Security Base course series involves programming assignments, essays, quizzes and puzzles that are completed in the online learning environment.
How to participate?
1. Complete the assignments in the online learning environment. Course materials (without ECTS) are available to everyone without officially enrolling on the course.
2. Enroll on the course through the Open University to receive credits. You will be given instructions for Open University course enrollment through email after you have completed the course assignments in the MOOC online learning environment.
- Master's level
- Advanced studies
Cyber Security II, 5 cr (AYCSM13204) consists of Cyber Security Base courses 4-6:
- Cyber Security Base: Advanced Topics, 3 cr (AY5823954)
- Cyber Security Base: Course Project II, 1 cr (AY5823955)
- Cyber Security Base: Capture The Flag, 1 cr (AY5823956)
Once you have completed the Cyber Security Base courses listed above, you can request the set of courses to be compiled into Cyber Security II, 5 cr (AYCSM13204). Send your compilation request to firstname.lastname@example.org.