2 cr 30 euros
5 cr 75 euros.
Registration begins 45 days before the beginning of the course (13.9.2019)
2 cr: registrate here
5 cr: registrate here
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme.
No prerequisites required.
- look at climate change from many different perspectives and create connections between them as well as look for solutions to the climate challenge in a variety of ways.
- reflect on his or her own role in climate change and apply what has been learned on the course to his or her field of study.
- examine different perspectives, solutions, information sources and the current debate on climate change critically.
The course will be lectured every year in the II period.
1) as a scientific phenomenon (observed changes, the greenhouse effect, greenhouse gases, the carbon cycle, climate sensitivity, radiative forcing, feedbacks, emission scenarios and climate models, changes to be expected, uncertainties)
2) impacts (on ecosystems and societies, vulnerability and climate risk)
2) mitigation (carbon footprint, energy system, sustainability transition)
4) as a deep human and societal challenge and how to participate in resolving it.
Four contact sessions, online learning material, learning diary and two group projects (for 5 cr course only).
Total hours: 54 (for 2 cr) and 135 (for 5 cr).
2 cr course grading is based on the learning diary.
5 cr course grading is based on the learning diary (50%), project assignment 1 (25%) and project assignment 2 (25%).
You find the course´s teaching schedule here https://courses.helsinki.fi/en/atm302/129912647.