75 euros More information
The course is suitable for anyone interested in learning.
- understands the connection between brain plasticity and learning
- understands the meaning of sleep, physical activity and diet to learning and can apply this knowledge
- understands the physiologial factors affecting learning
- can find and utilize scientific information to support his/her learning
- the basic structure and function of the human brain
- brain plasticity and factors affecting it
- the connection between sleep and learning, and the functioning and consolidation of memory
- the effects of sports and active lifestyle on cognition and learning
- the effects of diet, breaks, music and other artistic and craft activities on brain and learning
- gamification of learning and its effects on the brain
The teacher shows the readable parts of the literature from the list below. Additionally, the scientific articles provides by the teacher (e-articles at Moodle)
Recommended course literature in Finnish:
- Minna Huotilainen & Leeni Peltonen: Tunne aivosi.
- Petri Paavilainen: Toimivat aivot.
- Anders Hansen: Aivovoimaa.
- Satu Jyväkorpi: Hyvää aivoille.
- Daniel Levitin: Musiikki ja aivot.
Rekommederade litteratur på svenska:
- Anders Hansen: Hjärnstark.
Recommended course literature: in English:
- Talitha Best & Louise Dye: Brain Health and Cognitive Performance. (Section I).
- Anders Hansen: Brain power.
- Daniel Levitin: This is your brain on music.
- Michael S. Gazzaniga: Handbook of Cognitive Neuroscience (small parts of the book) OR
- Bryan Kolb & Ian Q. Whishaw: An introduction to brain and behavior (small parts of the book).
Scale Accepted - Disapproved
The lectures are held in English. The lectures are also recorded. The course materials are in Finnish and English, the assignments can be returned in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Lectures are held in the Unisport spinning hall in Meilahti (address: Zaidankatu 9). Students swing the spinning wheel.
Signing up for each spinning lectures separately on the course online learning environment Moodle page one week before each lecture.
The course participants do not have to pay Unisport fee.
The course can be completed by participating in lectures OR on online course by listening the lecture recordings afterwards.
You get link and course key for the online learning environment Moodle by logging into the study program at the University of Helsinki username earliest on the next day you sign up. You will receive more information on the username after the registration. Moodle opens on the 17th of September.
Opintojakso kuuluu kasvatustieteiden kandi- ja maisteriohjelmien valinnaisiin tieteenalaopintoihin.