Registration begins 45 days before the beginning of the course. The exact registration time is shown by clicking the Register button.
- The online registration is available for those who have Finnish identity number and an online bankig ID.
If you don't have Finnish identity number and / or an online banking ID, please contact the Admission Services of University of Helsinki for instructions : admissions(at)helsinki.fi.
- International students at the University of Helsinki can enrol on the course with their University of Helsinki username.
University of Helsinki username
As an Open University student you'll get the University of Helsinki username to access the university's IT systems. The username should be activated after the registration online or at the university.
Online activating requires strong electronic identification. If it is not possible, you should visit the Helsinki University ID-point.
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme
Finnish 1A or equivalent skills. The starting level for the course is A1.1.
After completing the course, you will
- Be able to talk about your everyday life and living accommodations
- Be able to take part in very simple discussions on the course topics with the help of a partner
- Be able to identify the central information from brief texts (such as notices) related to the course topics
- Be able to communicate in ordinary and routine service encounters, as well as inquire about essential matters
- Be able to explain which language(s) you would like to use in different types of conversations
- Know how to learn Finnish outside the classroom
- Be familiar with certain central characteristics of Finnish everyday life and living culture
Target proficiency level: A1.2
- Practising simple conversations and routine service encounters
- Practising how to express understanding and difficulties in understanding
- Everyday basic vocabulary (daily routine, time, living accommodations, travel, free time, communicating in shops and hotels)
- Basic language structures (conjugation and verb types, local cases, the you imperative, the most common word types, demonstrative pronouns)
Gehring – Heinzmann, Suomen mestari 1 (chapters 5–7). Revised edition, 1. or later edition, 2020.
(not included in the course fee)
Written and oral assignments during the course, interim examinations, if any, and a final examination. Examinations can be written or oral.
- Scale 0-5
- The assessment is based on a final examination, course assignments, if any, and participation during the course.
- The weight given to the different assessment factors will be announced at the beginning of the course.
Target proficiency level: A1.2
Online lectures (Zoom), written and oral online assignments + final exam
See "Timetable" for online lecture times.
Instructions for completing the course and attending Zoom lectures can be found in Moodle.
Before the start of the course, you will receive instructions from the teacher by e-mail to attend the first Zoom lecture.
Online learning environment Moodle opens on January 12, 2021.
How to get the Moodle-link and course key?
Next day after registration: log into this study programme with your University of Helsinki username.
You will receive more information on the username after registration.
Thu 11.3.21 at 16.45-18.15