Registration begins 45 days before the beginning of the course. The exact registration time is shown by clicking the Register button.
- The online registration is available for those who have Finnish identity number and an online bankig ID.
If you don't have Finnish identity number and / or an online banking ID, please contact the Admission Services of University of Helsinki for instructions : avoin-student(at)helsinki.fi.
- International students at the University of Helsinki can enrol on the course with their University of Helsinki username.
University of Helsinki username
As an Open University student you'll get the University of Helsinki username to access the university's IT systems. The username should be activated after the registration online or at the university.
Online activating requires strong electronic identification. If it is not possible, you should visit the Helsinki University ID-point.
NB! If you live outside Helsinki and are not able to visit ID Point: complete the application form for a username and send it to the University Helpdesk via email (email@example.com). Helpdesk will contact you and give you further advise.
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme
After completing the course, you will
- Be able to discuss and express opinions on history, geography and sports, as well as cultural differences and related stereotypes
- Be able to read and write texts related to the course topics
- Be able to make comparisons
- Be able to describe the personality and appearance of individuals
- Be able to express agreement and disagreement in several ways
- Be able to write official and unofficial email messages
- Be familiar with various text genres, including literature
- Be able to talk about past events in all tenses with the passive voice, also in conditional expressions and colloquial Finnish
- Be proficient in using the most common colloquial expressions
- Be familiar with Finnish history and geography, as well as able to talk about the history and geography of your own country
- Target proficiency level: B1.1
- Expanding vocabulary in at least history, geography, expressions of time, cultural differences, household appliances, work tools and sports
- Studying basic language structures: tenses with passive voice, passive conditional, plural imperative, the translative and essive cases, comparisons with adjectives and adverbs, ordinal numbers and clause types
- Practising fluent verbal communication and systematic practise of the characteristics of colloquial Finnish
- Practising writing non-fiction texts
- Preliminary introduction to participles
- The course consists of contact teaching, pair and group work, as well as independent study.
- Students are expected to actively participate during classes and complete home assignments.
- Attendance of 80% is strongly recommended.
Gehring – Heinzmann – Päivärinne – Udd: Suomen mestari 3 (chapters 3–8).
(not included in the course fee)
Written and oral assignments during the course and a final examination. Examinations can be written or oral.
- The assessment is based on a final examination, potential course assignments and participation during the course.
- The weight given to the different assessment factors will be announced at the beginning of the course.
Online lectures (Zoom) 56 hours, written and oral online assignments + final exam
See "Timetable" for online lecture times.
Instructions for completing the course and attending Zoom lectures can be found in Moodle.
Online learning environment Moodle opens on February 9, 2021.
How to get the Moodle-link and course key?
Next day after registration: log into this study programme with your University of Helsinki username.
You will receive more information on the username after registration.
on the last lesson