Registration begins 45 days before the beginning of the course. The exact registration time is shown by clicking the Register button.
- The online registration is available for those who have Finnish identity number and an online bankig ID.
If you don't have Finnish identity number and / or an online banking ID, please contact the Admission Services of University of Helsinki for instructions : admissions(at)helsinki.fi.
- International students at the University of Helsinki can enrol on the course with their University of Helsinki username.
University of Helsinki username
As an Open University student you'll get the University of Helsinki username to access the university's IT systems. The username should be activated after the registration online or at the university.
Online activating requires strong electronic identification. If it is not possible, you should visit the Helsinki University ID-point.
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme
After completing the course, you will
- Be familiar with the vocabulary and practices related to seeking employment and job interviews
- Be able to draw up job applications and a CV
- Be able to complete social services and health care forms
- Be able to read notices and instructions
- Be familiar with expressions that can be used for suggestions, persuasion and polite refusals
- Be able to describe and discuss various topics related to society and culture
- Be able to read and write text related to the course topics
- Be able to identify various text genres and be familiar with various non-fiction texts
- Be able to identify and use participles
- Have the tools relevant for the peer assessment and self-assessment of your language
- Practising writing non-fiction texts
- Practising verbal presentation
- Practising fluent verbal communication, conversational phrases and expressing opinions
- Expanding vocabulary, with particular emphasis on working life
- Formation and use of participles, introduction to certain common verb and noun suffixes, transitive and intransitive verbs, the use of possessive suffixes and preliminary introduction to non-finite clauses
- Guidance in peer assessment and self-assessment
- Kurssiin kuuluu kontaktiopetusta, pari- ja ryhmätöitä sekä itsenäistä työskentelyä.
- Opiskelijalta odotetaan aktiivisuutta tunneilla ja kotitehtävien tekemistä.
- Vahva suositus on 80 % osallistuminen tunneille.
Gehring–Heinzmann–Päivärinne–Udd: Suomen mestari 4 (chapters 1–4)
(not included in the course fee)
Written and oral assignments during the course and a final examination. Examinations can be written or oral.
- On scale 0-5
- The assessment is based on a final examination, course assignments, if any, and participation during the course.
- The weight given to the different assessment factors will be announced at the beginning of the course.
Target proficiency level: B1.2
Online lectures 56 hours (Zoom), written and oral online assignments + final exam
The course material includes video recordings made by the teacher. The videos involve exercises.
See "Timetable" for online lecture times.
Before the start of the course, you will receive instructions from the teacher by e-mail to attend the first Zoom lecture.
Instructions for completing the course and attending Zoom lectures can be found in Moodle.
Online learning environment Moodle opens on October 5, 2020.
How to get the Moodle-link and course key?
Next day after registration: log into this study programme with your University of Helsinki username.
You will receive more information on the username after registration.
Tue 2.12.20 at 17.30-19.30
The date will be announced later