Prerequisites in terms of knowledge
basic knowledge of statistics.
basic knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
Prerequisites for students in the Data Science programme, in terms of courses
Basic knowledge of machine learning.
Prerequisites for other students in terms of courses
Recommended preceding courses
Knowledge of basic HCI techniques would be an advantage, in particular user study design, experimental data collection, questionnaire design.
- knowledge of how search engines work internally, from algorithmic and systems perspectives
- knowledge of compression methods used in search engines
- ability to design a user study to test an information retrieval system
- ability to analyse experimental data from user studies
- methods and techniques to collect user search data
- knowledge of different types of search techniques
- knowledge of different types of user feedback
- basic aspects of interactive information retrieval
Spring, 2020. Plan (in principle) is to offer this course every year, depending on how it is received.
The course will consist of two parts. The first part will cover the following topics:
- inverted indexes
- integer codes
- basic methods for text compression
- web crawling
The second part will cover the following topics:
- principles of interactive information retrieval systems
- exploratory search
- specialist literature search and multimedia search
- user modelling
- user feedback
- assessment of performance of interactive information retrieval systems
- designing user studies to test interactive information retrieval systems
- use of questionnaires in interactive information retrieval system assessment
- basic machine learning methods used in interactive information retrieval systems
The grading is based on the submitted assignments/program code and the exam.
The grading scale is 1-5.
Due to current COVID-19 situation general examinations in lecture halls are cancelled. You can check the completion method from the course page or contact the teacher to ask about alternative completion methods. - - - General exams last 3 hours and 30 minutes. Renewal exam (marked with "(U)") is the first general exam after the course and also a renewal exam of course exam(s). In a renewal exam the points student has earned during the course are taken into account. Exams marked with "(HT)" are allowed only to students who have completed the obligatory projects or other exercises included in those courses. Exams marked with "(HT/U)" are renewals to students who have completed the obligatory projects during the course. General exams might cover different area than the lectured course. Check the course web page and contact the responsible teacher if in doubt.
The course will be primarily provided in the form of lectures supplemented by practical sessions. Attendance is required for some of the practical sessions where students will work in groups to design a user study to test an IR system.
The course will be assessed through an exam and a group assignment.
Dorota Glowacka and Simon Puglisi.