Pakollinen syventäviin opintoihin kuuluva jakso.
Eläinlääketieteen lisensiaatin koulutusohjelma vastaa jaksosta ja se ei ole tarjolla muiden koulutusohjelmien opiskelijoille.
Students become familiar with the most important lameness disorders, orthopedic diseases, wound surgery and internal medical diseases in horses, as well as laboratory and imaging techniques and their indications and significance, in addition to general treatment principles. Students will also be able to apply a problem-based approach and conduct a research survey when making a diagnosis, be able to assess the course, severity and prognosis of a disease, perform
primary care responsibilities for horses in stables.
Students will be able to
- perform a lameness examination and clinical examinations related to various groups of organs
- identify the most common equine diseases
- select appropriate diagnostic tests in order to arrive at a diagnosis
- apply their knowledge to individual patient cases in order to make a diagnosis
- plan treatment using the facilities, tools and medications available at the practice
- explain the principles of wound management
- provide appropriate first aid in fractures and other trauma cases
- identify diseases requiring specialist treatment
4. lukuvuoden kevätlukukausi
Primary care provided in stables and the most common equine diseases associated with wounds and traumas, lameness disorders, the respiratory system, the heart, the digestive tract, the skin and the urinary tract, as well as endocrine diseases.
Opintojakson aikana osoitettava materiaali.
Reed and Bayly "Equine Internal Medicine" 4. painos, 2017.
Ross & Dyson Diagnosis and Management of Lameness in the Horse. 2. painos, Saunders, 2011.
Teos on saatavilla e-kirjana: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9781416060697.
Granström ym. (toim.) Hevosen kengitys. 2. painos, Opetushallitus, 2011.
Theoret ym. Equine wound management. 3 painos.
Lectures (47 h), practical exercises, case-based assignments (15 h). Written examination (4 h).