Pakollinen syventäviin opintoihin kuuluva jakso.
Eläinlääketieteen lisensiaatin koulutusohjelma vastaa jaksosta ja se on tarjolla vain rajoitetusti muiden koulutusohjelmien opiskelijoille.
Students will understand the etiology and pathogenesis of reproductive disorders, identify their clinical symptoms, and be able to use diagnostic and treatment methods.
- develop a command of reproductive endocrinology and physiology
- be able to apply knowledge in order to gain an understanding of the etiology and
pathogenesis of reproductive disorders, of their diagnostics and treatment as well as of the use of biotechniques
- be aware of the financial significance of regular reproduction and correctly timed identification of disorders in domestic animal production
- be able to identify the clinical symptoms of reproductive disorders and to diagnose and treat them be able to identify the most important factors in the production environment that may decrease fertility
- become familiar with the various methods of artificial reproduction
- be able to take and examine a sperm sample
- be able to perform artificial insemination in production animals and horses
- be able to perform a rectal and ultrasound examination independently
- be able to assist a delivery independently, but also analyse their own resources and the need for hospital treatment
- be able to assess a neonatal calf, foal, piglet, puppy and kitten as well as diagnose and treat their most common diseases
4. lukuvuoden kevätlukukausi.
Gynecology covers female reproductive physiology, the techniques of rectal palpation, ultrasound examination and other examinations as well as the diagnostics and treatment of reproductive disorders. In practice, students will have a good command of ruminant, swine and equine examination and a satisfactory command of small animal examination. Andrology covers male reproductive physiology and the examination of male animals, sperm analysis, reproductive
disorders, hereditary diseases and the techniques of artificial reproduction. Obstetrics covers the physiology of gestation and delivery, the diagnostics of gestation, birth assistance as well as the diagnostics and treatment of disorders during and after delivery, as well as udder and teat diseases. Neonatal diseases include the special physiological features typical of calves, foals, pigs, puppies and kittens less than one week of age, the resuscitation of a newborn animal as well as the most common diseases, their etiology, diagnostics and treatment.
Pyörälä Kotieläinten synnytysoppi. HY, ELTDK, Oppimateriaalia 3, 2003.
Senger Pathways to pregnancy and parturition. Current conceptions, 3. painos, 2012.
Opintojakson aikana jaettava muu materiaali.
Noakes et al. Veterinary Reproduction & Obstetrics. 9. painos tai uudempi, Elsevier, 2009.
Youngquist & Therlfall Current Therapy in Large Animal Theriogenology 2. 2007.
England & von Heimendahl BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Reproduction and Neonatology. 2. painos, BSAVA, 2010. Opettajat osoittavat jakson aikana myös eri eläinlajien erikoisteoksia.
Lectures (116 h), small group work (16). Written examination (4 h).