Primarily for students in the Genetics and molecular biosciences – Masters program (Cell and developmental biology).
Advanced Cell Biology, Stem cells and organogenesis. Students should have good knowledge on the principles of cell, developmental and molecular biology.
After completing the course, the student
- understands how diverse cellular processes direct development of multicellular animals
- is able to adapt and unite the knowledge she/he has obtained about cell biology and developmental biology in her/his previous studies
- is able to find important scientific articles on cell and developmental biology and read them critically
- is able to summarize in writing the main conclusions of scientific articles and is able to discuss them in the class
- is able to give presentation based on scientific literature
2nd year autumn (2nd period).
Scientific articles of predefined themes in cell and developmental biology. Special emphasis will be on the cellular mechanisms in the development of multicellular organisms.
Reading of scientific articles. Oral presentation and general discussion on the themes presented by other students. Working can be realized as pairs of students who work together on the same subject.
Research articles and review articles.
Evaluation 0-5. Oral presentations and general activity.
Tapio Heino and Juha Partanen