The course is optional for students in the HNFB Master’s programme.
The course is optional in the module HNFB-1000 Ravitsemustieteen perusteet (Basics in nutrition)
Available for other students.
After completing the course, the student will be able to
- characterise diets and food habits in developing countries
- explain the different forms of maternal and child malnutrition and their consequences
- explain the underlying and immediate causes to maternal and child malnutrition
- understand basic principles in food insecurity
- explain some nutrition interventions and prevention strategies related to malnutrition
- is familiar with the current initiatives for tackling nutritional problems.
The course can be completed at any phase of studies. The course is organised every other year, next time during academic year 2019-2020.
- world nutrition situation
- conceptual framework of malnutrition; forms of malnutrition and their consequences
- double burden of malnutrition, nutrition transition
- infectious diseases; water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH
- foetal malnutrition, breast feeding, complementary feeding
- maternal malnutrition
- nutrition specific vs. nutrition sensitive programs
- food security
The literature consists of scientific articles and reports.
Active participation in lectures, assignments, examination
Grading 0-5. The grading criteria will be displayed on Moodle platform
Moodle-learning platform is in use.
Lectures, assignments, and/or examination