This is a gentle introduction to command-line tools for linguists. It is aimed at bachelor students in languages who are interested in language technology. Master students from the Linguistic Diversity in the Digital Age program are also welcome.
Lingvistiikan perusopinnot tai vastaavat opinnot.
After taking this course, students will be able to:
- operate in a Unix-like environment.
- use Unix command-line on a Windows or Mac OSX computer.
- use the Unix command-line.
- use regular expressions.
- processing corpora at a basic level.
- run programs from the command-line.
- install programs.
- write basic scripts.
- use version control tools.
- work on a remote server.
- create and host a webpage on GitHub Pages.
- stay calm and google when things go wrong.
This course is suitable for the first year of the bachelor or master's studies.
This course covers the fundamentals of Unix-like command-line environments for linguists.
Weekly assignments and final project.
Online reading materials and videos.
Riippuu järjestettävästä kurssista.
Standard grading scale (0-5). Grade based on assignments and final project.
This is an online course with optional weekly exercise sessions.