|Name||Cr||Method of study||Time||Location||Organiser|
|Academic & Professional Communication in English 1 (CEFR B2), periodi I||2 Cr||Course||30.9.2019 - 29.11.2019|
|Academic & Professional Communication in English 1 (CEFR B2), periodi I||2 Cr||Course||1.10.2018 - 30.11.2018|
|Academic & Professional Communication in English 1 (CEFR B2), I periodi||2 Cr||Course||29.9.2017 - 17.11.2017|
Students of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
This course partially fulfils the foreign language requirement in the degree.
This is the first part of a two-part course.
The aim of the course is for students to develop reading, discussion and presentation skills in the academic and professional English of their field and to gain confidence in using these skills. The intention is that students improve their ability to
- understand advanced academic/professional written English, such as their course books and other texts from the field
- discuss academic topics more fluently and spontaneously
- present, explain and illustrate (in speaking) ideas and opinions that are based in written texts
- take responsibility for their own learning and become more autonomous language learners, in order to promote life-long learning.
In the first semester of the first year
Depending on the particular needs of the group, the course will include
- a consultation session with the teacher to plan and evaluate each students learning
- independent, guided reading that focuses on each students own needs
- a lengthy team-work project that incorporates the use of different skills
- searching for written information relevant to the field and the students
- reading texts relevant to the students academic and professional needs
- presenting in a safe setting
- becoming familiar with strategies and tools for future language development.
Moodle / other media
Students will choose texts from their field to be used as materials.
Assessment practices and criteria
The course uses peer evaluation, self-evaluation and evaluation by the teacher.
Recommended optional studies
See WebOodi (WebOodi > Instruction and courses > Course catalogues > Language Centre > English) for other courses supporting the further development of the competence provided by this course.
Relation to other study units
This course replaces the course 995010 English Academic and Professional Skills taken prior to autumn 2017.
Before the course Academic and Professional Communication in English 2 (2 op)
The course consists of 54 hours of work.
The course has regular meetings for the whole group, individual student-teacher meetings and small group meetings. The course includes 28 contact hrs in these different meetings and 27 hrs independent work.
See additional information for the completion methods of each group.
The Language Centre requires students to attend approximately 80% of the classes. Concessions may be made if warranted by the nature of the course. However, 100% attendance may be required for contact lessons related to self-access courses or equivalent studies.