The course is open for students at University of Helsinki. Students in KSV are prioritized.
Students are expected to have at least two years of Bachelor studies, with at least 25 ECTS in journalism, communication or media.
Courses within Journalism studies.
By completion of the course, students should have achieved/acquired the following:
- a critical capacity to identify the ways in which ethnicity is coded and given political relevance in any country in which they operate,
- an understanding of how racism and other ideologies of oppression may permeate ethnic relations and how the media may be implicated in this process,
- an understanding of how modes of journalistic practice may deny ‘voice’ to particular communities and individuals, and a reflexive critical sensibility toward their practice in multi-ethnic societies,
- a critical reflexivity about the ways in which participants position themselves in a multiethnic world.
Recommended time for the course: At the end of Bachelor studies.
The course is offered: Period I. The course is not given annually. Please contact the responsible teacher for updated information.
This course will explore the role of the media in impacting upon personal collective identities and framing the
politics of diversity in contemporary societies. Drawing upon mass communication research, cultural
studies and sociology the course will examine the means whereby the mass media may be partisan and biased in their representation of ethnic identities.
- Bassel, Leah (2017). The Politics of Listening: Possibilities and Challenges for Democratic Life. London: Palgrave.
- Bailey, O.G. et al ( 2007) Transnational Lives and the Media Basingstoke Palgrave
- J. Downing.J. and Husband C (2005). Representing 'Race’: Racisms, Ethnicity and the
Media. London Sage
- Waisbord.S. (2013) Reinventing Professionalism: Journalism and News in Global Perspective . Cambridge Polity Press
- Peters, C and Broesma, M. (2012) Rethinking Journalism: Trust and participation in a transformed news landscape. London Routledge
- Lentin,A and Titley,G. (2011) The Crises of Multiculturalism London Zed books
Studieavsnittet bedöms på betygsskalan 0–5. Bedömningskriterier delas ut i samband med kursen eller fås vid behov av tentator.
Course participants are examined on the basis of lecture participation, set work and an essay.
Universitetslektorn i kommunikation Camilla Haavisto