Master's Programme in Materials Research is responsible for the course.
Module where the course belongs to:
- MATR300 Advanced Studies in Materials Research
- All study tracks
The course is not available to students from other degree programmes.
None. This is the very first course of the programme.
After successfull completion of the course you will
- have an overview of materials science
- understand the importance and impact of materials in society
- know the main lines of materials research performed in Kumpula campus and how they relate to the global scene
The recommended time for completion is during the initial stage of the Master's programme MATRES (an introduction to the programme).
The course is offered every year in Period I.
Introduction to materials science and its impact in modern society
Materials science in connection with the global science questions
Introduction to programme study lines
Presentation of research carried out in the groups related to the MATRES programme
- William D. Callister Jr.: Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction, Wiley
- M. F. Ashby: Drivers for material development in the 21st century, Progress in Materials Science, 46 (2001) 191.
Lectures and student seminars.
Attendance (min 85%), seminar. Grade: accepted/rejected.
Attendance, seminar presentation.