Doctoral candidates of B&M and other doctoral programs, MSc students interested in neuroscience.
Previous experience in neuroscientific research and background studies on the basic mechanisms of the nervous system (e.g. Purves at al., Kandel et.al, or similar knowledge)
Improve your skills in...
- Recognizing: What makes a paper good/bad/excellent?
- Learning about new methods, their possibilities and limitations
- Gain some practice in reading papers & especially figures
- General insight about recent achievements in neuroscience
- Critical reading and argumentation
The Journal Club sessions are organized monthly at 5 pm on separately agreed dates starting from the end of August 2019.
Each topic/article is shortly introduced by an expert on the field after which the students continue with presentations and discussions.
The students are expected to:
1) clearly summarize the relevant and novel content of a research article
2) critically evaluate it
3) communicate and discuss the findings in the context of previous studies
1 credit for 1 presentation + attending the JC 5 times.
Course Moodle page for sharing the articles and for scheduling the JC sessions:
Eva Ruusuvuori and Henna-Kaisa Wigren