Studies in Open University in English
Cloud based web applications
This free course series offers you basic skills of modern web application development. It is well suited to both computer science professionals and students alike. The prerequisites of the course series are basic studies in computer science.
1-3 credits depending on course exercise completion.
1. credit: Student has learned what docker is and knows how to use it in different scenarios.
2. credit: Student has general understanding of docker-compose and is able to implement advanced docker configurations.
3. credit: Student has deeper understanding of docker ecosystem and its use cases.
Student needs to have good CLI skills and a general understanding of software development.
Artificial intelligence and Data science
In this free and open online course series you will learn the basics about artificial intelligence and machine learning. There are no prerequisite of prior programming skills. The more advanced courses of the module provide techniques for implementing AI systems.
- Can confidently write basic level Python programs without constantly consulting language/library documentation.
- Can apply efficient and elegant Pythonic idioms to solve problems
- Knows the different phases of data analysis pipeline
- Knows the fundamental data types array, Series and DataFrame
- Can clean data to form consistent Series and DataFrames without anomalies
- Can select subsets, transform, reshape and combine data
- Can extract summary statistics from data (min, max, mean, median, standard deviation)
- Knows the main types of machine learning (supervised learning: regression and classification, unsupervised learning: clustering, dimensionality reduction, (density estimation))
- Knows the estimator API of Scikit-Learn (choose model class, choose hyperparameters, form feature matrix and target vector, fit model, transform data or predict labels or responses)
- Can form feature matrix and target vector suitable for Scikit-Learn's model fitting algorithms
- Can visualize data as simple plots or histograms
- Can apply basic data analysis skills to a simple project on an application field
Programming skills and basic knowledge of probability calculus and linear algebra.
The compulsory basic level courses in Bachelor's Programme in Science form a sufficient background.
Cyber Security Base
Cyber Security Base with F-Secure is a free course series by University of Helsinki in collaboration with F-Secure Cyber Security Academy that focuses on building core knowledge and abilities related to the work of a cyber security professional.
- Introduction to current status of cyber security
- Better understanding why cyber security is needed
- Technical aspects are discussed in more details in the following courses
No specific prerequisites are needed. General understanding of computer systems and networks are recommended.
The participant will learn
- the principles of developing web applications,
- typical security issues that are related to such applications,
- and how such issues are discovered and mitigated.
Cyber Security Base: Introduction is recommended
Completing the course requires completing several mandatory programming exercises in Java.
The participant will gain hands-on experience
- on producing software with security flaws
- detecting such flaws
- and mitigating them.
Cyber security base: introduction and securing software is highly recommended.
Completing the course requires programming a web application in Java.
The participant will be introduced to
- security issues in network
- basics in cryprography
- analysis of software system architecture
- log mining
Cyber security base: introduction, securing software, and project I are highly recommended
The participant will be introduced to
- intrusion toolkits (metasploit)
- detecting intrusions
- Cyber security base: introduction, securing software, project I, and advanced topics are highly recommended
- The project involves installing, among other things, a virtual machine. Good computer skills are required.
The participant will have hands-on experience in dealing with simple tasks related to security topics discussed in previous cyber security base courses.
- Cyber security base: introduction, securing software, project I, advanced topics, and project II are required
- Programming skills (Java)