The course is compulsory for students of the Study Track in World Politics.
Basic Studies in Politics, Media and Communication, as well as Theoretical Orientations in World Politics
After completing the course, students will be familiar with the origins and current trends of peace and conflict studies. They will understand the central concepts of the field and perceive the related critical debate. Students will also learn to evaluate various conflict resolution models and underlying theories on the causes and logic of violence.
Second period of the second year of studies
The course focuses on the early stages of peace studies and those characteristics that distinguish it as a tradition of its own. The course examines the most fundamental questions of peace studies from the perspective of both theory and practice. The course compares various definitions of war, peace and violence, as well as competing notions of the transformation or resolution of conflicts.
- Galtung, J (1996) Peace By Peaceful Means: Peace and Conflict, Development and Civilization. Sage
- Ramsbotham, O & Woodhouse, T & Miall, H (2011) Comtemporary Conflict Resolution (3rd edition). Polity
- Demmers, J (2017) Theories of Violent Conflict: An Introduction (2nd edition) Routledge
Graded on a scale of 0 to 5 (0=fail, 1=pass, 2=satisfactory, 3=good, 4=very good, 5=excellent)
Instructions for examinations
- Faculty examinations are held in Porthania (Yliopistonkatu 3).
- Faculty examinations begin at 9.00. Students must arrive by 9.30 and may leave no earlier than 9.30.
- Students may take only writing utensils with them to their seats (no bags etc.). No programmable calculators or dictionaries are allowed.
- Mobile phones must be switched off.
- Examination answers must be returned to the invigilator in the examination envelope.
- Students must provide proof of identity when submitting their answers.
Compulsory contact teaching course and required literature. If all of the student places are taken, students of other degree programmes can complete the course by taking a book examination.