Contact teaching is available primarily to students of the relevant study track and, secondarily, in the event the course is taught in English, to exchange students of the programme and students of the Master’s Programme in Global Politics and Communication (priority given to students of the Study Track in Media and Democracy). Depending on available student places, students of other Master’s programmes can participate.
After completing the course, students will have a profound familiarity with research in a specific area of political communication, as well as the ability to understand and critically evaluate interrelations of political activity, the exercise of power and communication. The course provides students with a good starting point for analysing political communication and working in expert positions.
Second period of the second year of studies
The course examines one special field of political communication studies, such as the relation between politics and media, political journalism, political campaigning and marketing, political performance, style and rhetoric, political entertainment, communication in public administration or communication related to civic activity.
- Stanyer, James: Modern Political Communication: Mediated Politics in Uncertain Times (2007) Optional (select two):
- Aalberg, Toril et al. (eds.): Populist Political Communication in Europe (2016)
- Dahlgren, Peter: The Political Web: Media, Participation and Alternative Democracy (2013)
- Hahn, Dan F.: Political Communication: Rhetoric, Government and Citizens (2003 or newer)
- Henn, Philipp & Vowe, Gerhard (eds.): Political Communication in the Online World: Theoretical Approaches and Research Designs (2016)
- Negrine, Ralph et al. (eds.): The Professionalisation of Political Communication (2007)
Other literature announced in class
Graded on a scale of 0 to 5 (0=fail, 1=pass, 2=satisfactory, 3=good, 4=very good, 5=excellent)
Study method is online examination in Examinarium. First enroll in WebOodi. Then make the time and place reservation in Examinarium: http://blogs.helsinki.fi/examinarium-en/
Contact teaching and assignments or a book examination. A literature examination is a possible completion method in the event no contact teaching is arranged. Completion methods will be further specified in the annual teaching programme.