|Name||Cr||Method of study||Time||Location||Organiser|
|Social Work and Human Rights||5 Cr||Written work||30.4.2020 - 30.4.2020|
|Sosiaalityö ja ihmisoikeudet||5 Cr||Lecture Course||17.1.2020 - 28.2.2020|
|Social Work and Human Rights||5 Cr||Written work||30.11.2019 - 30.11.2019|
|Social Work and Human Rights||5 Cr||Written work||30.4.2019 - 30.4.2019|
|Sosiaalityö ja ihmisoikeudet||5 Cr||Lecture Course||15.1.2019 - 1.3.2019|
|Social Work and Human Rights||5 Cr||Written work||31.12.2018 - 31.12.2018|
|Sosiaalityö ja ihmisoikeudet||5 Cr||Lecture Course||15.1.2018 - 2.3.2018|
After completing the course, students will have a deeper understanding of social work as an activity based on human rights and will be able to evaluate social work and its targets from the viewpoint of implementing basic and human rights. Students will be able to analyse tensions related to the implementation of basic and human rights in society both in Finland and globally, and connect problem solving with legislation, agreements and control mechanisms for basic and human rights. Students will be able to apply the knowledge attained during the course to, for example, their Master's thesis and working life. Students’ group-working skills and ability to conduct independent data collection will have developed further.
The course familiarises students with human rights thinking and the foundation of human rights in social work from various viewpoints by examining basic and human rights from the perspective of the history of human rights, the international system of human rights and its control mechamisms, the Constitution of Finland, as well as the professional principles and target phenomena of social work. Tensions related to the implementation of human rights are examined in Finnish society, as well as on a global scale.
• Koivurova, T & Pirjatanniemi, E (eds.): Ihmisoikeuksien käsikirja. Tietosanoma 2013.
• Nykänen, E & Kalliomaa-Puha, L & Mattila, Y: Sosiaaliset oikeudet – näkökulmia perustaan ja toteutumiseen. THL 2017.
• Ranta-Tyrkkö, S: Ihmisoikeudet ja sosiaalityö globaalien kriisien maailmassa. Teoksessa Jäppinen, M et al (eds.) Kansainvälinen sosiaalityö. United Press Global 2016.
• Reichert, Elisabeth: Social Work and Human Rights. A Foundation for Policy and Practice. Columbia University Press 2011.
• Standards in social work practice meeting human rights. IFSW 2012.
• Related literature will be announced during the course.
Assessment practices and criteria
Graded on a scale of 0 to 5 (0 = Fail, 1 = Passable, 2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Good, 4 = Very Good, 5 = Excellent)
1) Lecture-based teaching and project work in groups OR
2) An essay based on the course literature and independent data collection by the student (see separate instructions)