Compulsory course for USP Plans
Aalto University, Creative Sustainability is responsible for the course
Belongs to the USP-300
Is available to students from other programmes, but the number of students may be limited (applications via JOO-system).
Students who successfully complete this course should be able to:
- Discuss concepts, models and methods of futures inquiry particularly as applied in urban sustainability transitions.
- Apply theoretical understanding in analyzing and planning a given urban transition situation.
- Construct a hypothetical urban transition project proposal with reference to relevant key literature and examples/cases.
- Communicate verbally, visually, in writing, and reflect critically on own role within a multidisciplinary group and relevant professional contexts.
Recommended time for completion: first year
The course is offered in period 4 (Aalto).
The Urban Transitions and Futures course introduces students to theories and practices of socio-technical and socio-ecological transformations in the urban context. These include theories of transition management, resilience and social practice, typologies and processes of urban transformation at micro, meso and macro organisational, spatial and temporal scales, as well as methods of futures and participatory inquiry in the context of urban sustainability transitions. This introduction is followed by how these theories are relevant to developing strategies for sustainable (socially, ecologically and economically resilient) and just urban futures through analysis of a given transition situation. The students apply their learning by developing a project outline as a group including roles of relevant professions (architects, urban planners, designers, researchers, policy makers, public, private and civil society actors, etc.).
- Contact teaching (lectures, workshops, tutoring, presentations, etc.) 45h
Individual and group work (in contact teaching sessions and independently) 55h
Reflection and thinking 15h
- Preparing group presentations and documentation 20h
Lectures and guest lectures
Class discussions and seminars
Excursions/trips/excercises/workshops in- or outside of class
Grading scale 0-5
Assessment is done continuously by:
- Participation in contact teaching sessions
- Group work, group presentations and final documentation
- Contribution to group work and completion of assignments
- Completion of a short individual reflection
Registration in Aalto Weboodi!
Idil Gaziulusoy; email@example.com