Research ethics (1credit) is a compulsory part of the field-specific studies of the doctoral programme. The course can be completed either as an online course (1 credit) or as a combination of the online course and on-site teaching (2 credits).
• The course belongs to the following module: Field-Specific Studies
On completion of the course, the participants will:
• recognise and analyse key research ethical questions
• formulate ethical research plans and responses to ethical challenges by applying key ethical theories and approaches
• recognise and understand key ethical principles guiding research and how they apply to research work
• understand the Finnish Responsible Conduct of Research guidelines, processes for dealing with research misconduct, and processes for applying research license or ethical review
• identify rights and responsibilities as a researcher
• understand how ethical decisions and choices influence society and research community
The course runs over 4 weeks online 29.9. - 30.10.2017.
The course consists of 4 sections:
• Ethical theory and importance of research ethics
• Planning for ethical research
• Research practice and ethics
• Sharing research results in an ethical manner
The sections are independent and follow a research project life cycle. The sections build theoretically on each other in a sequential manner. Each section will include online lecture material, reading material, and assessment tasks.
The course will be taught online, and, in addition for those taking part in combined 2 credits course, in 2 lectures. Most of the course is self-directed and allows for great flexibility with when and where it is done but the assessments have strict deadlines.
Course literature consists of book chapters, short scientific articles (max. 100 pages) and web-based material. All literature for the course is available on the course Moodle platform in e-format. The invitation to the Moodle platform will be send by email to the student's address in Weboodi. Please check, your email address in Weboodi is the one you are currently using!
Pass / Fail
The course completion requires:
• active engagement with the course material,
• completing compulsory assessment tasks detailed above.
The course evaluation is based on adequately achieving learning outcomes as evidenced in the assessment tasks.
The course can be completed in either Finnish or English.
The invitation to the Moodle platform will be send by email to the student's address in Weboodi. Please check, your email address in Weboodi is the one you are currently using!
The course is based on material available on the course platform. Course participants must complete four assignments by given deadlines:
• ethical issues and challenges in one's own research (an essay of 1-2 pages)
• peer review (written comments and reflections on given ethical challenges)
• discussion board group activity on ethical issues based on Case Studies
• reflection and solutions to ethical issues in one's own research (an essay of 1-2pages)
Quizzes associated with above assignment topics are compulsory.
Research ethics is a compulsory part of the field-specific studies of the doctoral programme.