This course is intended for students of all faculties.
This course does NOT fulfil the foreign language requirement in the Bachelor-level degree.
See WebOodi (WebOodi > Instruction and courses > Course catalogues > Language Centre > English) for other courses supporting the further development of the competence provided by this course.
The aim of the course is for students to gain confidence in using English-language conventions in texts used when applying for jobs, scholarships and grants, as well as in texts typical in professional life. The intention is that students improve their ability to
- write texts that are well-structured, concise and persuasive
- appropriately employ the conventions of several professional text genres
- create a basic set of application materials for personal use
Only after fulfilling the Bachelor-level degree requirements in English (Academic and Professional Communication / English Academic and Professional Skills).
The course will include
- writing and revising CVs or résumés and cover letters, along with other application-related texts, such as motivation letters, personal statements and recommendations
- writing brief, professional-related texts, such as memos, minutes and correspondence
- discussing effective choices in approach and style in career-related writing
- giving and receiving peer critique on writing
- individually consulting with the teacher on students' own work
Students choose texts from their field to be used as materials.
The course uses self-evaluation and evaluation by the teacher.
The course includes 28 contact hours and 26 hours of independent work.
The Language Centre requires students to attend approximately 75% of the classes. Concessions may be made if warranted by the nature of the course.