Free of charge
You will be given instructions for course registration in the MOOC online learning environment after completing the course.
- Course materials are available for everyone without officially registering on the course.
- Please note that the course registration form is open for a pre-defined period only
- If you wish to have the ECTS entered in the University of Helsinki’s student records, you must register for the course at the Open University.
- If you enter erroneous information when registering, we cannot register your credits.
- Students and international students at the University of Helsinki can enrol on the course with their University of Helsinki username.
- If you do not have a Finnish personal identity code and / or an online banking ID, please contact the University of Helsinki Admission Services in order to register for the course.
More information on studying at the Open University:
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme.
This course is a part of the University of Helsinki Bacherlor's programme in Science, and and a part of basic studies in Computer and Data Science.
If you a degree student at the University of Helsinki, please note following:
- The course is compulsory for the whole programme.
- For students in Computer and Data Science study track the course ID is BSCS1000 and for other students BS1000.
- The course is available to students from other degree programmes.
It is recommended that you have completed Introduction to Programming (AYBSCS1001en) before taking this course.
For degree students, it is recommended to complete this course during period 2 of first autumn. The course is a follow-up to the Introduction to Programming course.
The course material is available online at the MOOC learning environment.The focus is in hands-on programming, supported by 2 hours of weekly lectures.
The details on grading of the course will be provided later.
Taking this course does not give students access to a University of Helsinki user account. If you want to view and share information about your studies after completing the course, sign up for the Oma Opintopolku -service maintained by the Finnish National Agency for Education. The ECTS will be displayed within two days in the Oma Opintopolku -service after credits have been registered to the University of Helsinki. To register for the Oma Opintopolku – service you must identify yourself by using Finnish bank identification codes, mobile certificate or certificate card.
- Questions regarding the learning environment: email@example.com
- Questions about registering at the Open University: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can find frequently asked questions on the course at the online learning environment.
- If you have questions about DEFA studies, please contact DEFAemail@example.com.
- If you have questions about the content of the course, please contact the teacher in charge of the course Erkki Kaila (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The course is completed in the MOOC learning environment, which contains the material and instructions necessary for completing the course. You may study the course flexibly during 20.03.2020 - 04.01.2021.
The course is part of basic studies in Computer and Data Science.