This course partially/completely fulfils the foreign language requirement in the degree.
Starting level CEFR B2
The aim of the course is for students to activate and develop skills in the academic and professional English of their field and to gain confidence in communicating in situations relevant to their studies and professional life. The intention is that students improve their ability to
- understand general and academic/professional spoken English
- discuss/present in academic/professional English fluently and spontaneously
- read and understand academic/professional English texts
- write academic/professional English texts clearly and accurately
- take responsibility for their own learning and become more autonomous language learners, in order to promote life-long learning.
The recommendation for the timing of this course varies according to the degree programme.
Depending on the particular needs of the group, the course will include
- field-specific materials from a range of sources such as journals, (text) books, and the Internet, provided by students and the teacher
- reading the material, applying appropriate strategies
- writing texts relevant to the students' academic and professional needs
- presenting and discussing topics related to the fields of study
- becoming familiar with strategies and tools for future language development.
Moodle / other media
Students choose texts from their field to be used as materials.
The course uses peer evaluation, self-evaluation and evaluation by the teacher.
There are no live course meetings but studying can be done on one's own pace. Resources and instructions are available on our Moodle page, and assignments are to be submitted by agreed deadlines.
The assignments consist of three short academic essays, one presentation (video or slides), and two Writing Forum entries. Both individual and joint feedback is given by the teacher, and peer assessment as well as overall activity online are encouraged.
Online learning environment Moodle will be used on the course. The course Moodle will open on Tuesday 29th of September 2020.