Students of the Faculty of Arts
See WebOodi (WebOodi > Instruction and courses > Course catalogues > Language Centre > English) for other courses supporting the further development of the competence provided by this course.
This is the first part of a two-part course. The aim of the course is for students to activate and develop skills in the academic and professional English of their field and to gain confidence in communicating in situations relevant to their studies and professional life.The intention is that students improve their ability to
- understand general and academic/professional spoken English
- discuss/present in academic/professional English fluently and spontaneously
- read and understand academic/professional English texts
- write academic/professional English texts clearly and accurately
- take responsibility for their own learning and become more autonomous language learners, in order to promote life-long learning.
First year of studies
Depending on the particular needs of the group, the course will include
- field-specific materials from a range of sources such as journals, (text) books, and the Internet, provided by students and the teacher
- reading the material, applying appropriate strategies
- writing texts relevant to the students' academic and professional needs
- presenting and discussing topics related to the fields of study
- becoming familiar with strategies and tools for future language development.
Moodle / other media
Students will choose texts from their field to be used as materials.
This course uses peer evaluation, self-evaluation and evaluation by the teacher.
Diverse course formats with 54 hours of work
Courses based on regular meetings include 28 contact hrs and 26 hrs of independent work. See additional information for the completion methods of each group. The Language Centre requires students to attend approximately 75% of the classes. Concessions may be made if warranted by the nature of the course. However, 100% attendance may be required for contact lessons related to self-access courses or equivalent studies.
This course replaces the courses 995010/995011/905012 English Academic and Professional Skills taken prior to autumn 2017.
Connection to degree programme(s) / faculty courses: See additional information for each group.
Before course Academic and Professional Communication in English 2 (2 op)