Free of charge.
You will be given instructions for course registration in the MOOC online learning environment after completing the course.
- Please note that the course registration form is open for a pre-defined period only.
- If you wish to have the ECTS entered in the University of Helsinki’s student records, you must register for the course at the Open University.
- Course materials (without ECTS) are available for everyone without officially registering on the course.
- Registration is available for those who have a Finnish social security number (=Personal identity number).
- If you enter erroneous information when registering, we cannot register your credits.
- Students and international students at the University of Helsinki can enrol on the course with their University of Helsinki username.
The course credits will be registered within 4 to 6 weeks of registration.
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme.
Cyber security base: introduction and securing software is highly recommended.
Completing the course requires programming a web application in Java.
The course is the 3rd part in series "cyber security base".
The series consists of 6 courses that can be grouped in two courses, each course rewarding 5 credits, 10 credits in total.
The participant will gain hands-on experience
- on producing software with security flaws
- detecting such flaws
- and mitigating them.
In the first project, the participants will construct software with security flaws, point out the flaws in the project, and provide the steps to fix them.
The course material consists of online material (https://cybersecuritybase.mooc.fi/)
Several external online materials (articles, videos) are used in the course. These links are specified in the course material.
- The course is an online course with no pre-organized contact hours
- Students can contact the organizers via course email address if help is needed
- A discussion channel will be also provided
Fail / Pass grading upon completion of course exercises
Taking this course does not give students access to a University of Helsinki user account. If you want to view and share information about your studies after completing the course, sign up for the Oma Opintopolku -service maintained by the Finnish National Agency for Education. The ECTS will be displayed within two days in the Oma Opintopolku -service after credits have been registered to the University of Helsinki. To register for the Oma Opintopolku – service you must identify yourself by using Finnish bank identification codes, mobile certificate or certificate card.
- Questions regarding the learning environment: email@example.com
- Questions about registering at the Open University: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can find frequently asked questions on the course at the MOOC learning environment
- If you have questions about the content of the course, please contact the teacher in charge of the course: email@example.com
This course is a massive open online course (MOOC), which means it is available to everyone. For further information about the course, please see the online learning environment. The online learning environment contains the material and instructions necessary for completing the course
Assoc. prof. Nikolaj Tatti
The course is part of the subject studies in Computer Science.