1. Complete the assignments in the MOOC online learning environment.
2. You will be given instructions for course registration in the MOOC online learning environment. Register for the course according to the instructions and continue studying on the course in the online learning environment Moodle.
- Registration at the Open University ends 10.1.2021.
- If you wish to have the ECTS entered in the University of Helsinki’s student records, you must register for the course at the Open University.
- Course materials are available for everyone without officially enrolling on the course.
- Students and international students at the University of Helsinki can enrol on the course with their University of Helsinki username.
- If you do not have a Finnish personal identity code, please contact the University of Helsinki Admission Services in order to register for the course.
Open University reserves the right to make changes to the study programme.
Course is suitable for
- anyone interested in Docker or containerization
- anyone studying computer science (optional course for the Bachelor's Programme in Computer Science)
- students from other degree programmes.
If you are completing DEFA (Digital Education For All) studies, DevOps with Docker is one of the courses that can be completed for application purposes.
Student needs to have good CLI skills and a general understanding of software development.
Computing Tools for CS Studies (Tietokone Työvälineenä)
1-3 credits depending on course exercise completion.
1. credit: Student has learned what docker is and knows how to use it in different scenarios.
2. credit: Student has general understanding of docker-compose and is able to implement advanced docker configurations.
3. credit: Student has deeper understanding of docker ecosystem and its use cases.
Recommended time of completion is at the 2nd year of computer science studies.
This course will be offered between autumn and spring terms as a focused course over winter.
This course is also to be offered in summer in the 5th period.
The course is an introductory course to Docker and docker-compose and their usage in single host deployments. Course will also introduce other container management tools.
Course will also look into what different parts web services consist of such as reverse proxies, caches and databases.
Recommended to read during the course: Docker documentation https://docs.docker.com/
especially parts "get started"
Paja exercise groups held in Exactum.
Fail / Pass grading with completion of course exercises.
- Questions regarding the learning environment: email@example.com
- Questions about registering at the Open University: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have questions about DEFA studies, please contact DEFAemail@example.com.
- If you have questions about the content of the course, please contact the teacher in charge of the course Jami Kousa (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Most of the course is completed in the MOOC online learning environment, which contains the material and instructions necessary for completing the course. The final assignment of the course is to be completed in Moodle. The last day to enrol on the course is 10.1.2021. The deadline for all submissions is 24.1.2021.
Online learning environment Moodle opens on 21.4.2020. You will be able to log in to the course's Moodle after completing the course assignments in the MOOC environment and registering on the course.
How to get the Moodle-link and course key?
Next day after registration: log into this study programme with your University of Helsinki username.
You will receive more information on the username after registration.
The course is part of the subject studies in Computer Science.