- Compulsory/optional course: optional
- Coordinating degree programme: Doctoral School in Health Sciences
- The course belongs to the following module: General Transferable Skills
- Availability of the course to students of other degree programmes: Yes, but subject to capacity
The student is able to make a timeline for the final phases of the PhD project.
The student is able to create an adequate outline for the dissertation book.
The student knows how to solve some of the most common problems occurring during the final phase of the PhD project.
Last year of the dissertation project. The course is organised once every term during the calendar year 2018.
Module 1: Getting started with the Dissertation Book
- Scheduling, rules, order of tasks
- Tackling the literature (optimizing reading)
- brainstorming, group discussions
- Reference software discussion/tutorial
- EndNote (or other similar: Zotero, Mendeley, etc)
- Questions about referencing
Module 2: Dissertation Book Structure
- Alyce talk about general thesis structure
- Students analyze e-thesis examples regarding their structure
- Talk about long-format writing issues
- building story line
- linking key concepts
- focus on discussing the Literature Review section
Module 3: Troubleshooting
- Issues of time, motivation, competing demands, feedback, conflicts with supervisors
- Activity: Ask students to write 3 potential (major) obstacles they can forsee in the thesis writing process…then split into small groups and discuss for 30 mins
- share key insights as a whole group for 15 mins
Module 4: Goal Setting
- Brainstorming goals for thesis writing
- baby goals and guru goals
- drafting personal goals
- then partner-up and discuss
- peer support: exchange emails and continue partnership
A workshop. Active learning methods used: small group discussions, in-class goal-setting.
PASS/FAILED, 1 ECTS.
9.9.2019 Biomedecum, seminar room 1-2
16.9.2019 Biomedicum, meeting room 8-9
Contact lessons, group discussions