The course is mandatory for students in the Master's Programme in Chemistry and Molecular Sciences.
No previous studies.
After this course, the student will understand regulations and legislation which concern the chemical industry.
The course can be taken during 1st or 2nd year of MSc studies.
The course will familiarize the student with rules and regulations concerning the usage of chemicals in Finland.
The course programme covers:
· introduction to chemicals R&D, sustainability in chemicals management, global market
· principles in chemicals hazard and risk assessment for health and environment
· classification, labelling and packaging of chemicals (CLP regulation)
· REACH regulation - registration
· REACH regulation - authorisation and restrictions
· safety data sheet
· exposure scenario
· workers protection legislation
· biocidal products regulation
· regulations on cosmetics and detergents
· construction products regulation and food contact materials
· legislation on pharmaceuticals
· plant protection products regulation
· environment protection legislation and Seveso legislation
· waste legislation, transfrontier shipment of waste, circular economy
· persistent organic pollutants (POP), export and import of hazardous chemicals (PIC), ozone depleting substances, fluorinated gases
· transport of dangerous goods
· the testing of chemicals (test standards, alternatives to animal testing, QSAR, read-across)
· good laboratory practise and quality standards.
The examination is made in Examinarium.
Study materials are in Moodle.
You can find the password to the Moodle-site on course-page (the link can be found on the regisration page), when you register for the course.
Due to current COVID-19 situation general examinations in lecture halls are cancelled. You can contact the teacher to ask about alternative completion methods.
Online course and written examination.