Students of the Faculty of Biological & Environmental Sciences
This course completely fulfils the foreign language requirement in the degree.
See WebOodi (WebOodi > Instruction and courses > Course catalogues > Language Centre > English) for other courses supporting the further development of the competence provided by this course.
The aim of the course is for students to activate and develop skills in the academic and professional English of their field and to gain confidence in communicating in situations relevant to their studies and professional life. The intention is that students improve their ability to
- understand general and academic/professional spoken English
- discuss/present in academic/professional English fluently and spontaneously
- read and understand academic/professional English texts
- write academic/professional English texts clearly and accurately
- take responsibility for their own learning and become more autonomous language learners, in order to promote life-long learning.
In the spring semester of the first year
Depending on the particular needs of the group, the course will include
- field-specific materials from a range of sources such as journals, (text) books, and the Internet, provided by students and the teacher
- reading the material, applying appropriate strategies
- writing texts relevant to the students' academic and professional needs
- presenting and discussing topics related to the fields of study
- becoming familiar with strategies and tools for future language development.
Moodle / other media
Students choose texts from their field to be used as materials.
The course uses peer evaluation, self-evaluation and evaluation by the teacher.
Diverse course formats with 108 hours of work
Courses based on regular meetings include 56 contact hrs and 52 hrs of independent work. ALMS courses include 108 hours of work.
See additional information for the completion methods of each group.
The Language Centre requires students to attend approximately 80% of the classes. Concessions may be made if warranted by the nature of the course. However, 100% attendance may be required for contact lessons related to self-access courses or equivalent studies.
This course replaces the course 99501 English Academic and Professional Skills offered prior to autumn 2017.
Connection to degree programme(s) / faculty courses: See additional information for each group.